Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Vising Yosemite while Staying in South Lake Tahoe

I will be staying at the Embassy Vacation Resorts the first week in September. I wanted to visit Yosemite while I am there. Should I take a tour bus or drive myself. If I drive myself , how far is it and would you recomment staying overnight.

Vising Yosemite while Staying in South Lake Tahoe

I would drive myself. From South Lake Tahoe take the Kingsbury Grade where you can later catch 395 and head south. It%26#39;s about 2.5 hours to Lee Viining. Then it%26#39;s a drive down to the Valley. On the way the view is spectacular. Make sure you stop along the way especially Olmsted Point.

I would suggest staying overnight but it may be really hard to find a place in Yosemite in September if it%26#39;s around labor day weekend. You could try to stay in Lee Vining so at the end of a long day driving down and visiting Yosemite you would be nicely located to drive back to SLT the next day..

Vising Yosemite while Staying in South Lake Tahoe

thanks for the info. I took your advise and I booked a room at the Best Western Lake View Lodge in Lee Vining for the night.


Tab 3148:

You might like to drive about 10 minute drive south on Highway395 from Lee Vining to the turn-off to June Lake Loop.

This is a wonderful place to go with Grant Lake, Silver Lake, Gull, and June Lake. Very ';vacation oriented'; while Lee Vining is more of a ';road stop'; with some motels, groceries, and view of Mono Lake.

Since you have lodging, you can stay at Best Western, but you might like to take this scenic drive while in the area.

Its well worth it.

www.junelakechamber.org/pages/summermenu.php…

Enjoy your trip.


That Best Western is the nicest place in Lee Vining. It is quite close to the 395/Tioga Pass junction and within easy walking distance to eateries.

Whatever place you stay have a great vacation!!


It might be worth trying to stay at the Yosemite Lodge right in the park. It is usually booked up a year in advance, but I got lucky by calling many times a few weeks before we went and got a cancellation. If you are flexible within the week you are staying at south lake tahoe this might work. It was well worth being in the park. The road to the Valley from Lee Vining is difficult driving...winding and twisting.


Does anyone know how long the drive is to the valley from Lee Vining.


Valley to Lee Vining is about 1.5 hours if you drive straight through but don%26#39;t so that because the views are spectacular. Stop at Olmstad Point, Tuolumne Meadows and Tenaya Lake at a minimum.


Thanks again for the great information. I will be sure to make several stops along the way.


Anyone ever stay at yosemite scenic wonders vacation rentels. they look beautiful on the web . Is is hard to get a reservation there the first week in September after Labor day. would that be better than staying in Lee Vining . I know you have to stay 2 nights minimum but it looks like its worth it. 1 night may not be long enough to see alot. I don%26#39;t know when I would get to this area again so I want to see and do as much as possible while I am there.


The ride from Tahoe to Yosemite along the Eastern Sierra is stunning. You%26#39;ll be sad, with a short schedule, that you can%26#39;t tarry, and when you get to Yosemite, sad you don%26#39;t have more time to spend there, too. And then there%26#39;s Death Valley... with more beautiful country along the way.

  • black eyed bean salad
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment