Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Motel and distance query

Hi Everyone,





We are planning 6 nights in SF early Dec and it has been suggested that we stay at Best Western Americana. Have read the reviews... not real sure because most motels have positive and negative reviews!





My query is - how difficult would it be to get back from say, Fishermans Wharf area to where Best Western Americana is, at night on public transport. Would we be relatively safe staying there and using transport at night?? Should I increase my hubby%26#39;s life insurance???? (LOL)





Have booked our flights - but have not booked accom as yet!





Any advice welcome!





Thanks





Liz



Motel and distance query


The neighberhood around there isn;t the greatest and you could probably do better for your money. Getting to Fishermans wharf would be very easy. Just walk 1 block to Market Street and catch the F line streetcar that will take you to Fisherman%26#39;s Wharf.



Motel and distance query


True but it%26#39;s not a block I%26#39;d really enjoy walking at night- I%26#39;ve done it during the day, but you%26#39;ll get to encounter some of SF%26#39;s most interesting street people while you%26#39;re at it. The one saving grace is that I%26#39;ve heard that the hotel offers shuttle buses to the wharf, etc. I%26#39;m sure you%26#39;d be fine- there are no reports of missing tourists staying at the Americana in the news!- but we locals would love for you to stay in a place that surrounds you with a more pleasant view of SF.



Supposedly the Chancellor in Union Square has good deals, and I think that if you used Priceline and stayed in the 3 or 4 star range in the Wharf, Union Square or Embarcadero area you would find some good bargains.




I wouldn%26#39;t stay there. It%26#39;s on a busy corner, and you%26#39;d have a few unsavory blocks to walk to get to Union Square. There have GOT to better places that aren%26#39;t much more expensive. Definitely try the Chancelor, and while I haven%26#39;t been a guest, I think the Montecello might be good too, and not too expensive. There might be a trip report coming soon from ';nrh'; who is staying there this week. She asked a lot of questions beore she left, so I%26#39;m sure we%26#39;ll hear something from her when she gets back.




If you haven%26#39;t booked your accomodations yet, then I%26#39;d look around for other hotels. If the price can%26#39;t be beat, or you%26#39;re otherwise obliged, the location isn%26#39;t the worst. I%26#39;d choose a different part of town if I could. Generally, I wouldn%26#39;t stay on 6th, 7th, 8th or even 9th streets (not to be confused with avenues) as a tourist. As a local, with a specific agenda and purpose for my lodging, it would be different.





If you%26#39;re relying on public transit (as most of us recommend you to do) then Union Square, Embarcadero and Fisherman%26#39;s Wharf areas are pretty much fail-safe ways of keeping your husband%26#39;s life insurance coverage intact.




I agree with the other posts. The neighborhood isn%26#39;t great. There a lot of homeless and other people who aren%26#39;t the best. For locals, it%26#39;s not too big of a deal because we%26#39;ve come to live with and accept it, but for a tourist, it%26#39;s not something you want to experience and see, especially since you%26#39;re unfamiliar with the area.



If you do decide to stay at that Best Western Americana, walk up one block to Market Street and you can catch the F-Line inbound to Union Square, Embarcadero, and Fisherman%26#39;s Wharf. The F-Line is the street-level historic streetcar. In addition, at the same location, you can go underground to the Civic Center Station and catch the MUNI Metro. That%26#39;s the underground streetcar that takes you inbound to Union Square, the Embarcadero, and SBC Park. Also at the Civic Center Station is BART. It%26#39;s the regional subway that takes you across the bay and to the airports.



And another thing, if you do decide to stay there, you can find a lot of hole-in-the-wall and trendy ';it%26#39;s cool because it%26#39;s in a shady urban area that attract SF hipsters'; restaurants, bars, and clubs there.




i know the rates are pretty good, but please, no no no no no.




Hi everyone,





Thanks for your feedback.





I have only just learned a little about Priceline and probably need to have more of an understanding before I hit that site.





My limited knowledge seems to be that you bid for an anonymous room in a certain locale at a certain star rating.. and wait and see what you get? Can you reject it if you aren%26#39;t happy etc???





I do have some time up my sleeve - in SF 30/11 - so when would be the best time to start bidding? Can I do it now, or will it not be bargainable this early?





Thanks again





Liz




I don%26#39;t know if the deals get better as the date gets closer, but I do know that once you place a bid you have to accept what you get. I bid on a 4 star hotel in Union Square for $80 on a Sat. night and I got a room at the Hilton. The room was small (I felt like I got the ';priceline'; room), but for what I paid I felt I had nothing to complain about...it was a small room, but the hotel was nice.




Once Priceline accepts your bid, you are stuck with the result. You can%26#39;t cancel if you decide you don%26#39;t like the hotel or location, and you can%26#39;t cancel if you don%26#39;t make the trip (unless you pay for cancellation insurance). And if you miss the first night, the balance of your reservation is cancelled. But priceline is a great deal; I use it all the time for trips to Philadelphia. Pick your neighborhood carefully. If you bid low and are rejected, you can come back 3 days later and rebid a slightly higher amount. For strategies, try www.biddingfortravel.com




just research and read the all priceline posts in San fran and if you have any questions, ask here. Nov 30 stay is a tad early, just watch that biddingfortravel site and when you see people posting winning bids for the area you want to stay, that is it. Should be plenty of room available because of the holidays and less business travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment