Saturday, March 24, 2012

Suggestions

Hi Everyone, We%26#39;ll be staying at the Beach House at Half Moon Bay end of Feb for 2 nights. Any suggestions of restaurants or events going on around that time? thanks.



Suggestions


Here is a link to the events in Half Moon Bay:





wliinc2.com/cgi/…





A good place for a beer and lunch is:



Half Moon Bay Brewing Company



http://www.hmbbrewingco.com/





A walk through downtown Half Moon Bay is always nice...



If you want to go deep sea fishing, charters are out of the harbor.



For deluxe drinks (bar/restaurant) the Ritz Carlton at Half Moon Bay.



Suggestions


If we%26#39;re driving up the coast from Santa Cruz, we always try to stop at the Distillery Restaurant (www.mossbeachdistillery.com) at Beach Way and Ocean Blvd., Moss Beach. The historic 1920%26#39;s bldg. is right on the ocean and has a great atmosphere, good food and, of course, a fantastic location. Oh--and they have a resident ghost, too! The restaurant is only 6 or 7 mi. north of Half Moon Bay and would be a great place to have drinks or a full meal.




Thanks mini and forestvillian for your suggestions!




Even tho Beach House offers a continental breakfast, consider Sunday brunch at Cetrella on Main St. I was very impressed with the fare and did not suffer sticker shock. I can recommend the Tuscan baked eggs and spinach on a bed of polenta with no hesitation. The menu is the most interesting for a Sunday a.m. in HMB. Main St. is becoming our LaCienega ';restaurant row'; on a very tiny scale.





The Half Moon Bay Review is published once a week and is available each Wednesday online (hmbreview.com) after 5 pm. You will get a feel for the community and perhaps see something that fits your schedule and interests. There are several local venues offering everything from jazz (Cetrella), blues/bluegrass (HMB Brewing Co.),



classical and jazz at Pete Douglas%26#39; Bach Dancing and Dynamite Co.



Our repertory theater is active and well attended...not L.A. but quite polished.





Weather permitting you can fly from HMB airport to the G.G. Bridge and thrill to the spectacularly rugged and beautiful San Mateo Coast. and back.





Even though the Big Wave surfing competition was held last week, folks enjoy the walk from the marsh parking lot at Pillar Point (Princeton Harbor) out to view the site and by chance see waves cresting in at sometimes as high as 50 ft. this year. Some claim 100 footers, but I am among the doubters.





Stroll Main St. for sure...the original Cunha Market burned to the ground about four years ago and has reopened on the corner of Main and Kelly Av. Locals donated time and dollars and begged that this one touch with the past not disappear from the rapidly changing town in the midst of a growth spurt. At either end of Main St. you will find two bakery and coffee sites with outdoor tables and both are very good: Moonside Bakery in the Piazza Bldg. a block south of Cunha%26#39;s and HMB Coffee Co. one block south of Hwy. 92...just before the little bridge leading to town...a good place to park and start your round-trip stroll.





If you have the time and energy you could enjoy the walk out to see the elephant seals at Ano Nuevo (between Santa Cruz and HMB).





Bundle up as evenings are chilly and can be damp and/or foggy.





Enjoy your stay in Half Moon Bay...




Hi. I just wanted to warn you about the Half Moon Bay Brewing Co. I went there for lunch today--the food was quite good, but they are remodeling the kitchen and are serving a limited menu--Plus, my meal was served on a paper plate with plastic utensils, and my drink came in a plastic cup--hardly what I%26#39;d expect with a halibut meal that cost $18.95! No one warned me when I walked in that my choices would be limited and that I%26#39;d be eating picnic-style. Believe me, I%26#39;m not a snob, but when I pay those prices, I expect better.





I%26#39;m staying at the Beach House, and I like it very much. I have the partial ocean view--that means that from my balcony, I see water to one side and the highway to the other. Not ideal, but not bad. The traffic noise is noticeable if I leave my balcony door open, but since it%26#39;s fairly cool outside, I don%26#39;t. The room is huge and very nice--the kitchen area is terrific: burners, microwave, fridge and utensils provided (not plastic ones!!). Nice big bathroom. I%26#39;m finding the hotel very quiet--perhaps because it%26#39;s off-season.





If you have time while you%26#39;re here, I recommend going to Ano Nuevo to see the elephant seals. I did that this morning and really enjoyed it. They say you shoulds reserve in advance, but it%26#39;s easy to get in during the week. It%26#39;s about 15-20 miles south of Half Moon Bay.





Have a great trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment